This was written on Sunday but I have been unable to post it until today.
Currently I am sitting in the internet café in the village that I have spent the last seven weeks. Tomorrow I will become a volunteer and move to north-west of Albania to the city of Lezhe. I will be working in the regional government office there and assisting with a variety of projects. I will post more on that later.
Training was an intense experience.
It had its advantages as this will be the only time except for the occasional conference that I will be with all the volunteers in my group. It mostly has been rough mentally and physically.
Training has included:
- Long days of classes,
- Long nights of studying,
- Watching Albanian TV and thinking about studying
- A trip to visit a current volunteer in Permet
- A Passover seder in Tirana (capital of Albania),
- A head cold,
- A chest cold, ,
- A tour of Tirana
- Some runs
- Lots of bumpy furgon rides ( Furgon’s are like mini-buses/vans for transportation)
- Visiting friends in other sites
- Bad wine
- Sports day – I made the winning play of the dodgeball game
- A haircut
- Tirana Beer
- Korce Beer
- The worst raki I ever drank – I expect this will change
- The best raki I ever drank
- Lemon soda to go with the bad raki
- Coffee, coffee, and coffee
- Sometimes Chai
- New friends
Thank you to all your support.
Your letters (Thank you Lisa and Dan Schley for my first letter!), facebook messages, wall posts, e-mails, phone calls and texts. I could not have made it to this point without you.
Now that training is over I’ll try to update more.