This weekend I got to hike Thethi Mountain. We took a ferry to Valbona National Park and spent a relaxing night in Valbona. We then hiked over the mountain and arrived wet (it rained), tired and craving a good meal.
If you ever find yourself in the area I highly recommend camping or staying with Thethi Shpella Guesthouse. They deliver big time with good company and a great meal. There are some also great rests stops along the way serving up goat cheese, fresh water and other snacks.
It was a great hike and I have the blister on my foot to prove it.
Some observations from the weekend:
I love to hike because of the vistas, the forests and the personal challenge.
- The trail over the mountain was very well marked
- One of the owners of the cafe close to the top of the mountain had lived in Westchester County, New York.
- Albania is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been.
- Albania sometimes reminds me of the Adirondacks.
- Converting Lek to Euros is sad. (140 Lek to 1 Euro)
- Raki should be distilled twice
- I love the way my body hurts after a hike.